Thomas Jones obituary, published 1886

contributed by Iwan Hughes

Taken from Y Cyfaill (The Friend), August 1886, Vol 49, Number 596. This was the monthly journal of the Welsh Calvinistic Methodists in America edited by the Rev. William Roberts, Utica.

Nov. 16, 1885 in Venedocia, O. Mr. Thomas Jones died, aged a little over 22 years old. He was born June 26th, 1863, in a place called Brynunty, Llanbrynmair, Montgomeryshire, North Wales. He was brought up in a religion from an early age. He was accepted as a full member of God's church when young. He professed a good calling, and he remained faithful to the end, leaving behind evidence that firm foundation of God exists, and that he who believes should not rush in the face of the fierce storm of death, in that his faith bears the flow of the flood of death beating upon him and that strong breezes blow upon him from the hills of eternity. He came with his parents and family to this country in May 1884, and they settled in the area of Horeb, Van Wert, Ohio. The family belonged to the Congregationalists in the Old Country, but as that denomination was not nearby in this area, they joined the Calvinistic Methodists at Horeb chapel. Thomas won great respect for himself in general at that chapel. He was an easy one to love. His pleasantness and gentleness were impressed on his face; he spoke respectfully about everyone; he thought the best of all. The phrase always springs to mind when we think of him: "For the pure, everything is pure." His greatest skill lay in his music. He was always singing - his charming voice always heard in the audience of every meeting. He sang while walking the roads; he sand while he toiled in the fields. It seems to me that the wishes that ascend towards heaven from the heart of many Christians in a sigh, did so through rejoicing from the bosom of Thomas Jones, and that the quiet holy musings found in the bosom of many a parson, were sung by him. I believe that this is what mainly rendered to heaven so completely his spirit. The Sabbath day afternoon before he died, when he was in the swell of the river, he sang, "About Jesus Christ and his fatal would," etc.; and when his strength was weakening, he called upon his sister to finish it.

He had a long illness. His illness was typho-malaria. The night before he died, there was a certain heavenly cheerfulness resting on his brow. His father asked him if it was hard for him? "Oh, no," he replied, "I've traveled through the deepest part." "Wouldn't you like to stay a little bit longer with us?" his father asked. "Oh no," he replied with a smile, "I want to go forward by now."

The ones who watched him that last night testify tha they never saw anyone die so much in comfort. "He is paying well for that tonight," he said. He thanked for the possibnility to ask forgiveness for sins. A little after 8 on the Monday morning he departed, leaving a great hiraeth in the hearts of many as well as his relatives. He was buried the following day at Salem cemetery. The following Sabbath the event was preached upon by the writer based on 1 John 3:2.. May the family in their deep grief find the strength to take comfort in the Lord their God.

I. Edwards